Saturday, October 29, 2011

New Hope Cuisine

At the Table Matters meeting on Friday, I arrived late and could only make it to one table. I chose to go to the New Hope Cuisine table and was truly inspired. I have always considered it a disgusting crime that we throw out tons of "unsatisfactory" food in grocery stores. Things such as a cake with a crack in it that nobody will buy, are being thrown out into landfills. What New Hope is doing, is taking all that food and creating frozen gourmet meals and soups from rescued foods. Whole foods is their main supplier however they are trying to get other businesses to partner up with them. At the moment Costco and Safeway are refusing to do so. In our discussion on how to get people to buy these delicious meals ( the lemon and apple chicken was all rescued food), I suggested making a Facebook page for the meals. When I think about advertising these days, the majority of it is done through technology (TV, computers, radio) and youth are a great target for these meals. University kids are always busy and may not always have the time to make themselves a good meal so New Hope would be perfect! When Scott, the Executive Chef and Instructor said that he is not at all technology savvy, I mentioned that Rockridge (I believe West Van and Sentinel too) have a program called Work Experience where there would likely be people willing to volunteer to help with creating an online area for the New Hope Cuisine. I took an extra one of his business cards and plan on talking with one of the Work Experience teachers about the idea. I hope it works out because what Scott and his team are doing is amazing.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sad to hear Costco isn't willing to take part. Otherwise they have some good ethical values.

    That's great that you were able to contribute your ideas.

    ReplyDelete