Friday, September 9, 2011

Bee Yard Safety

From the first reading, Some Basic Bee Yard Safety Tips, the first thing that stood out to me was the fact that not only does black truly aggravate bees, but white actually calms them. I also was unaware (until reading this article) that bees get upset over so many things such as the smell of caffeine or sweat, the weather, and that they can track CO2. One of the most interesting elements was the advice to have a banana on-hand incase of a sting. I thought it was very cool that just eating a banana would help replenish your potassium store after creating anti-bodies against the sting.
Next time I go into the garden or apiary I will make a point of being aware of the weather and looking for a different attitude of the bees depending on if it's sunny or cloudy and cold.
This article has made me wonder what other scents offend the bees that we are unaware of and what unknown aspects could calm them more. With the list of handy things to have on-hand, I also wonder what type of natural medicines were used on bee stings prior to modern medicines.

1 comment:

  1. Your Questions are good.
    If you read through old beekeeping books you'll find hundreds of old remedies. I think baking soda might be one of them. Who knows if any of them work. It would be a great topic for your 2nd term thesis except for the whole danger aspect..

    ReplyDelete